Google Analytics code

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Communicating with Businesses via Social Media

Getting in touch with the leaders behind big businesses used to be really hard. You could stay on the phone for hours trying to reach a higher up executive, write countless letters, and send a million emails that end up going unanswered. Now, with social media, people's complaints (and praise) is 100% transparent and now big companies have a choice... they can take charge and address publicly people's feedback, or, ignore it. Each side has its consequences. However the business decides to handle the situation, becomes publicity.

Now that these companies have a whole new element to the future of the reputation, the public is utilizing this new tool to get their feedback across. I have definitely experienced difficulty communicating with a business in the past, but now with social media, I foresee it being a lot easier than before to get a message across. I think that my problem could be solved quicker because companies, small or large, can't afford to have negative publicity. As a social media user, I have left comments on other business pages (all praise) and some even respond back with a simple "thank you". Right there already I love that company even more because they took the time to reply a simple thank you and tag my name. They went through the extra 10 seconds to acknowledge me and/or ensure I have a good relationship with them. I feel valued, necessary, and more powerful in the way I can express myself. 
One company that I believe does "social media" well is Staples. They have received beyond rude remarks on some of their photos and on their page, and their response is always quick, witty, and funny. People gravitate towards the sense of humor and by seeing that they are being acknowledged. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Angie,
    I completely agree with you. I love it when I have left a comment on a businesses social media page and a representative of the company takes a 10 seconds to recognize me. I find that more and more companies are trying to embrace consumer opinions and use them to better the company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Social media does seem to give more power to the consumer. Of course, with great power comes great responsibility and I fear far too many consumers are rude and irresponsible (as you stated with the Staples comments). I’m glad you have appreciated the positive responses you have received from business’, it must take a great deal of time and energy to respond to the good (easy to ignore) when the bad seems necessary to respond to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right Don, with power comes responsibility!
    I also feel many people are out of line with the comments that they leave. Although I appreciate being able to leave appropriate comments positive or negative; I get rather irritated by the ridiculously rude comments that some people leave. So, I can imagine how the businesses might feel having to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think you have both introduced another side. Consumers have more power but also more opportunity for public "abuse" of a company. I would think as the social media tools "mature," this will become less of a novelty for people who abuse it.

    ReplyDelete